Tuesday 24 April 2012


"I Was A Cook Before EMEM ISONG Took Me On” - Star Actress, NSE IKPE ETIM On How She Became An Actress 
 
Light skinned and slim built actress, Nse Etim, is a daring movie act whose romantic roles in the block buster movies Reloaded & Guilty Pleasure shot her into limelight.The Akwa Ibom State-born actress came into the movie industry about 4 years ago after a brief stint with the banking sector but left to become self-employed as a caterer. However, she toed the line of acting after a memorable incident which she recalled was instigated by her friend Emem Isong who is also a top producer. In this chat with Vivian Onuorah, she speaks on her new looks and why she doesn’t get along with some of her colleagues.
What’s the reason behind your new short hair look,it actually does make you look younger.
Well I just decided to try a different hair look and that’s it.It didnt make sense for me to carry wigs when I have got a natural fine hair, so one day I said to myself why not try wearing your natural hair and that’s how I came about this short dread I have on and I feel good with it.
You use to cut the picture of a very blunt person but now you look more reserved?
Well I think it's because of my natural hair do, if I was wearing a wig I would look more announcing.A wig gives you an older look while your natural hair does the opposite.
What are some of movies you have done recently?
A whole lot and still working on some, but recently Phone Swap and Mr & Mrs.
How would describe your role in the movie Mr & Mrs?
Like you saw in the movie, it's a movie about two families who were faced with different emotional challenges.For me playing the role of the emotionally abused wife of Joseph Benjamin was quite challenging because I was emotionally drained in the movie.
While taking up the script, did it elicit any memory in any of your past relationships?
Yes it did along the line because I have been in so many not too good relationships and I also have friends who have gone through that. I may have been battered in the past but sometimes you have to bury your past and move on.
How easy was it for you to get into the role of an abused woman contrary to the kind of roles you are used to?
I have been in charge in most of the romantic roles I'd  played but this was quite different because I was the one on the receiving end and for me to get into role, my ability to imagine a lot helped.I fell in love with the script because it’s a story line that touches on the problem a lot of women are facing presently, violence. A lot of women are being abused emotionally, battered and so on. For me it had a lot of message in it and that propelled my zeal to bring out the best of it.
Can you talk about the comedy movie you did “Phone Swap”?
It's an amazing movie that had acts like Chika Okpala,Wale Ojo, Ada Ameh and so many others.Its a very intriguing movie but I must say it left a memory I won’t erase in a hurry because I had an accident on the set of that movie and I broke my arm.
Is that part of the movie scenes?
No, its not part of the movie, it was an accident my arm got broken and even up till now, it still hurts a bit but it was a great experience working with the likes of actors we had on set of the movie.
If you weren’t acting, what would you have been doing?
Like you know  I am  a caterer and I have my own catering outfit.I enjoy cooking a lot and that’s what I was doing before I came into movies.I was a professional cook and that what’s I enjoy doing.I didn’t even plan going into acting,it came all of a sudden.
Can you narrate how the journey started?
I would say my friend Emem practically forced me into acting, I remember she visited me one time and next thing we were going through a script of hers at my place and she was like Nse you will fit in perfectly for this role and I told her like you must be kidding
But she insisted I must play the role and that was it. The next thing I   knew I packed my baggage and here I  am in Lagos doing movies.But I still run my catering outfit too.
What kind of a person are you?
 I am someone who says things the way they are, I don’t know how to pretend at all that’s why a lot of people may think  am blunt or may not get along with me but I don’t care.When I see you are doing something that is not right, I draw your attention to it whether you feel bad or not but the truth must be told no matter how bitter it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment